Hey, Hey!
My book, I got a comment to give you guys a preview. I do not know if it is good, please tell me if it is or not! Please be honest!So...here is the story behind it.
A few friends of mine from school came up with a really cool idea to write a book together because we were all writing separate ones. So we got on a video chat and discussed it a bit( mostly goofed off because we never can do that in school :) ) and had some different ideas, we then decided that it will be like three books in one. But...they will all connect. Here is a little spoiler, they all connect from the medallion. Each story is different and from a different time. But yes they are all connected. Here you go, a small sample from my book. Enjoy!
Darkness, nothing but bitter darkness filled the air on one
chilly autumn night. The feeling of eyes watching you when your back is turned,
the trees seemed to take the shapes of claws and hands full of wrinkles and
knots coming to grab you. At times like this, you want to be in a place of
comfort, a place that’s warm and welcoming. Home comes to mind, home is the one
thing you think about. Not for Carrie, she did not remember where home was, or
even who she was. The last thing the lonely girl remembered was being dragged
from someone she loved, cared for and cherished. The memories were burning, she
tried to remember with all her might but something was blocking it, someone did
not want her to have them. Carrie put her hands on the sides of her head to rub
her temples. While she took off her woolen mittens she heard a rustling noise
in the leaves, being all alone and in the dark made her senses seem much more
aware than she thought. In a moment she was not aware that she was already
standing in front of the leaves holding a stick and a note. Dropping the stick
she looked wide eyed at the note. She thought for a moment if she had blacked
out a few minutes ago and forgot, or if she had found this note and did not
recall it until now. Whatever the case she sat back down on the log she woke up
by and read the note to herself in a whispered tone.
“Don’t forget…” Hearing her own voice was strange for she
had not spoken until this moment. She was puzzled but did not pay much
attention for she had already forgotten her past and loved ones, she forgot
everything, no memory of anything. Nothing but fresh air and cold feet, the
feeling of the cool breeze and leaves run through her hair was it. That was all
she had to remember, no man or woman, no family to love, just leaves to look at
while they tumbled away.
She looked down at herself, she played with the laces on her
ankle boots and tugged at her skinny jeans to cover her ankles that were
revealed by the shorter parts of the boot. If only she knew how she had gotten
there and why she was dumped in the middle of the woods. Her thoughts began to
drift off to dreams, and sleep overtook her.
The wonderful feeling of the warm sun woke her up. Carrie
could now see the clear path that she was on, maybe she was taking a hike by
herself and hit her head on a rock and lost her memory.
“No that’s not it.” She said aloud. A very strange noise
came up from the leaves that were across from her, this time is was not a
rustle but a squeal. Like one from a
pig, but much lower. It also had a sort of rasp to the tone. Carrie reached
down and grabbed the stick she dropped last night, she walked over slowly and
pointed the stick like a sword. Very
carefully she poked the pile of leaves and out pops and strange looking
creature.
“Ouch!” It squealed once more. Carrie staggered back and sat
on the log with eyes wide and jaw dropped.
“Close your mouth! You could catch butterflies with it open
that wide, and trust me when I tell you they do not taste very good!” The
creature’s whole back was covered in leaves and they were not coming off. They
were a part the of creature’s skin or shell. This was a strange looking animal
(if you would call it that) it was short and stout, did not come any higher than
a grown man’s knee. It had a small rounded face that looked to be friendly but
she was not too sure. The eyes were of a dark green and its skin was made
completely out of bark and leaves. It was a camouflage master it seemed.
“What are you?” Realizing this was very rude she then
apologized for that comment.
“Oh dear you are fine, I do get that often. I am Arbre, a
camouflaged creature in hiding. I was a
servant of the great and noble King.” In that last statement he said it a tad
sarcastically and without feeling. She made the assumption that he was not a
good king or this was a very grumpy Arbre.
“Was?” Carrie asked now standing up to the small creature,
he was much shorter then she thought and he had a funny smell like rotting
leaves.
“I was a great noble one in the king’s court. I was in
charge of the people and keeping them under control. They did not want to
listen to an old man such as me so they raided the castle and here I am in
hiding like the rest of us small folk who escaped. The king and some of the
other Arbre’s were kept as slaves to work in the mine.” He was shaking his head
in sorrow for his fallen friends.
“But enough of that, how about you? How did you come to pass
in these old woods?” Carrie looked up from the Arbre and observed around her.
She then looked upon herself and frowned, she was wearing very tight skinny
jeans and a small thin grey sweater with pockets in the front. It was not a
sweatshirt as she first thought but it was indeed a shirt. Her boots were made
of leather and went up to her ankles. And lastly around her neck was a small
piece of metal, she had no idea what it was supposed to be. It seemed as though
it was broken, torn or something. There were lines that went across and would
have kept going except for the broken piece. She turned back to the Arbre.
“I haven’t the slightest idea how I arrived here…” He looked
puzzled, once more looking her up and down. Circling around her he gasped.
“What? Is there something wrong?” She was turning as he
turned trying to see his face.
“Where did you get that? That piece? I have seen that
before…” She held up the long chain with the broken medallion on it and
scrunched her face trying to understand.
“I do not know, I have nothing on me that says who I am. I
only have a note.”
“Oh do let me see!” he was grabbing at her hands as she
pulled out the note.
“Don’t be rude and you will rip it if you keep reaching for
it that way!” Annoyed at his reaching, she gave it to him. He scanned the two
words many times looking for anything.
“What are you doing? There are only two words there, nothing
else…” He shot a glance that frightened her, the small plump kind face turned
sour in a moment.
“It’s just a note, nothing else.” He said this grumpily like
he was upset she was right. His face then brightened like he remembered
something funny from the day before.
“I know who might be able to tell me about your necklace,
come with me. We only have a short journey ahead of us…” She then blindly
followed the small creature through the woods.
*****
“Where are we going?” Carrie said yawning as she walked into
a low hanging branch on a willow tree.
“Do you really need to ask all of these questions? We are
going to see a friend, isn’t that enough for you?” He grumpily turned back
around and walked straight into a bush.
“This stupid forest is so thick! I cannot see anything!” He
ripped up half of the bush he had run into and threw it behind him. She was
amazed at how strong he was until she got a face full of dirt. Wiping away the
dirt, she spit it out it out of her mouth. After a few moments she smiled and
then began to laugh. The Arbre turned to her and stopped remembering what
happened last time he walked backwards.
“Why are you laughing? Do I amuse you?” His face was red hot
and ready to burst at the slightest sign of harassment.
“I just thought maybe you would like to be on my back, or I
could carry you. You might be able to see well.” She was holding her hands out
like she was ready to grab an infant. His face went back to the normal shade.
“No thank you, I am very capable to walk by myself.” He then
turned back around and walked straight into a large tree root and fell on his
face. Wiping the dust from his small belly he looked back to her.
“I think I will take you up on that offer now.”
*****
Seriously? Is there anything you can't do? Great start!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I appreciate that!
ReplyDelete