The Gift

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Don't Be Brave - Book Introduction

Hello wonderful world of the internet!

I am currently writing a book! Exciting! I have been working on it for a while now. I am about 15 chapters in. This means I have enough chapters to upload weekly. Now I must warn you... I may not be very consistent. I have a lot of schoolwork that may keep me from uploading every week!

None the less! Here is the First chapter of my book!

Chapter 1

“Nancy!”  The call pulled the girl away from her scattered thoughts and back into the house.  “Your friends are here!”
It was a warm summer day - a perfect birthday.  Her friends had finally arrived, a sleepover was scheduled for that night, and the excitement was tangible.
Her green eyes twinkled.  “Coming Mom!”
She spun on her heels and dashed inside, only to be immediately tackled with “happy birthday” and “I’m so excited”.
“You’re the big 16 now!!”  Maggie said from one side of her.
Anna didn’t even allow for a response before adding, “Do you feel any different?”
A smile dashed across her face. “Not really,” she giggled.
The two girls continued to crowd her, asking her questions about how she was feeling and whether she wanted three pancakes or four.  The questions kept coming until Jake said commandingly, “C’mon guys!  Give the birthday girl some space!”
He plopped down on a chair next to his sister Maggie.  The questions stopped as they all chowed down on their pancakes.  And so did the rest of the noise….
“Now it's just awkward,” Nancy stated after a few minutes.
“Oh right we have gifts and stuff right,” Maggie said excitedly, tossing Nancy a colorful package.
Nancy quickly ripped of the paper and found one of her favorite books which she had read so many times, it was surprising that she hadn’t bought it.  She smothered Maggie in a hug and laughed, “Thank you!”
She dropped the book on the bar and quickly opened Anna’s gift - a beautiful bracelet, nestled in a tiny box.  The last gift, Jake’s, was a set of expensive drawing pencils.
“I do love drawing, Jake,” Nancy giggled.
He shrugged and admitted, “To be honest, I couldn’t think of anything else.”
The four of them laughed but were interrupted by a loud and abrupt ring from the doorbell. Nancy wasn't expecting anyone else…. She ran up to the door and looked through the peep hole. She didn't see anyone, so she opened the door.
"Hello?" She called out, glancing around for somebody. "Somebody there?"
Nancy looked at the floor and noticed a book with a necklace tied to it. Bending down, she examined the strange, very old, book left on her doorstep. Who would have left this for me? Nancy thought.  After staring at it for a while, she picked it up. Walking into the kitchen her ears were greeted with Anna's voice.
"Oh, another present I see?" Anna said, seeing the book and necklace in her hands.
"I think so..." Nancy muttered, her eyes glued on the 'present'.
Nancy sat down at the bar as her three friends all crowded around her to get a good view. Starting to flip through the pages she noticed it must have been very old. It was filled with drawings, maps and riddles. Each page was yellow and the maps were all drawn out in a very old fashion.
"Wait! Stop!" Anna shouted. "Turn back a page!"
"Ok, Anna! No need to shout..." Nancy flipped back a page.
"It's the same necklace that was tied to the book." Jake commented.
"Strange..." Maggie announced.
"Yeah..." The four of them murmured simultaneously.
Nancy picked up the necklace and compared it with the picture. It was beautiful. It was a pendant stringed onto a black chain. The pendant was a black metal dragon with its wings outstretched. What the dragon was holding was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen, a blood read ruby. Nancy clipped it around her neck.
"What do you guys think?" Nancy asked her friends.
"It's really nice. It looks kind of expensive..." Maggie explained.
"Yeah I agree it is really pretty." Anna confirmed.
Jake simply nodded his head in agreement. "Who's it from?" Jake asked.
"I'm not sure..." Nancy said quickly.
Suddenly, Maggie screeched, "Omg Nancy, throw it out the window! It could be a bomb!"
"It's not a bomb Maggie," Nancy laughed. "It's not ticking and... well... it's a book."
"Oh... true..." Her friend said sheepishly.
The rest of the day was the best day ever for Nancy. They all watched TV, ate popcorn, and played games. They also ate cake... you can't forget the cake... It wasn't a huge sweet 16 party but, it was just right for Nancy.  At the end of the day Jake left and went home (because it would be awkward otherwise) and they had fun girl time before drowsing off into a deep, sugar-fueled sleep.
It was going to be the last normal day for all four of them, and they didn't even know it.
Ok! There it is! Hope you liked it!
Stay awesome internet!

No comments:

Post a Comment